Saturday, August 17, 2013

Hoarding

There! I said it, you heard it right. I think anyone in the beauty community online (be it YouTube, blogging, etc) has either fallen prey or witnessed it. I have more makeup than any one person needs for probably their entire life. I am ok with this, it makes me happy. My husband is ok with it, he knows what makes me happy. Now to the point of my post. Hoarding takes space! so what is a hoarder with a tiny apartment to do...improvise! I have made myself a cubby/cave/secret place. it is not obvious what is going on in here until you get close.
 While i am a collector of makeup, i am also a collector of many many other things (like yarn, clothing, body care products, kitchen-y stuff) so my apartment is cramped enough that you cannot see directly into my cubby until you are well into the room it is in. so nosy visitors do not tend to find it on their own very often.

My husband helped me transform this tiny 3'x3' closet into my own little hideaway. He built me these shelves to hold my body care items and perfumes on one side and nail polish and more lotions/sunscreens on the other side (as you will see when you scroll.) I have a lot of stuff, as you can tell. Makeup doesn't take up all that much room as individual items are generally fairly small, but in bulk you have to be crafty with how you organize and maximize space. I really love my little space, it is private yet still in the same room my husband uses for a spare room/office which means he is not far away if we are both home. He even made me a little drop-down shelf so i can use my laptop in here, which often i will just sit in here on my little ottoman stool and watch youtube videos or play games. Only a very few select people have been inside my little room, i am very picky about who knows about my hoarding/addiction. On a rare occasion my husband has let someone in when i was not home, which i have not been happy about. it feels like a personal invasion, particularly if i heard second hand that they have made rude comments.

I feel like having a small space of my own has been wonderful. i work rotating shifts and sometimes crazy hours so it is nice to have a place to come in, turn on the light, and get ready at the butt crack of dawn. i hate waking my husband up unnecessarily and if i get ready in the bathroom it is highly likely that our dog will bark at me in his half-asleep stupor thinking i am an intruder because he has the memory of a gnat and will forget i left the room in 30 seconds.
I have a goal for myself to use products up, and i have been successful so far. I love this space, it makes me feel happy and content to be in here even when i am not just getting ready. I enjoy makeup a lot, and i also enjoy privacy and personal space so it is the best of all worlds for me. If anyone has any specific questions on how i did this so you can do something similar feel free to drop me a line. Everyone i have allowed to be privy to this has found it amazing. And i have to say i do agree, it is pretty awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment